- Jeehwans’ manuscript has been determined as a minor revision from Landscape and Urban Planning!
- Chongya’s GCB paper is now on-line! Click HERE
- Youngryel attended Fluxnet workshop, Photosynthesis Symposium at Berkeley. Reunion with Biomet folks.
- Youngryel visited Joe Berry at Carnegie to prepare sabbatical leave. Official starting date is July 18th!
- Chongya’s manuscript has been accepted for publication in Global Change Biology!! Big congratulations Chongya-
- We purchased one red parasol to make shadow in the field!
- We have been thinking how to isolate methane emission sources. The bubbles in the water likely indicate there are methane emissions through ebullition!
- Yorum transplanted rice around the flux tower where the farmer did not transplant. She carefully calculated stem density in the plot and applied the same density in the empty spot around the tower.
- Youngryel and Chongya joined the FLUXCOM workshop held in Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Jena, Germany. We reported recent progress in BESS. Very nice weather, people and foods! Thanks Martin and Markus for organizing this nice workshop!
- Birds made a nest inside the internet/power converter box at Taehwa mountain. Birds invaded through a small hole (a coin size). Countless unexpected issues in field observations! We are learning the nature.
- Irrigation started! Lab members visited and calibrated all LED spectral sensors and conducted spectral calibration for QEPro and Jaz with a light source.
- RSE class students at Interdisciplinary Program in Agricultural and Forest Meteorology visited Taehwa Mt, a part of SNU forest, to see spectral systems including SiF, Jaz, 4S. Also Prof Hyun-Seok Kim introduced the forest and Prof Eunwoo Park, director of NCAM, supported beef dinner.
- FluoWat arrived! Luis Alonso at University of Valencia kindly made this apparatus. FluoWat is connected to ASD-FieldSpec with filters, which enable us to measure sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence directly. It will be a main tool to scale up SiF from leaf to canopy scale.
- Jongmin installd QEpro and Jaz in an evergreen forest site at Taehwa Mountain. Joe Berry and Larry Giles kindly shared their temperature controller box with us. We used Rotaprism for QEpro system which works with a single fiber with a single spectrometer. Ari and Joe kindly shared their accumulated knowledge and detailed specs. We truly appreciate their kindness!
- Ben, Yorum, Jonming and Kaige went to CRK and did Kautsky effect experiment using spectrometers with different spectral resolution
- Kaige made a success in a half-marathon in Kyungjoo! Congratulations!!
- Li-COR visited SNU to offer Li-6400 (6800) training course. Yorum, Kaige and Soyoun joined and enjoyed learning.
- We had a group dinner to welcome Ben Dechant and Yunah Lee to join the lab!
- Ben Dechant joined the lab as a postdoc for SiF project! He is from Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Germany. Welcome!! With his main toy, Li-6800 with fluochamber in below photo.
- Juwon and Kaige visited Cherwon site and tested Kautsky effect.
- Youngryel, Jongmin and Yorum visited Taehwa Mountain. We are going to install a SiF system in the tall tower located in an evergreen forest.
- Jeehwan’s soil respiration manuscript has been submitted to Landscape and Urban Planning. Fingers crossed!
Bae, J., Ryu, Y.* (2017) Spatial and temporal variations in soil respiration among different land cover types under wet and dry years in an urban park. Landscape and Urban Planning In review
- Juwon graduated! He has joined the lab as a master course student.
- Prof Hiroyuki Muraoka from Gifu University in Japan visited us and gave a lecture, entitled “Photosynthesis and phenology of a deciduous broadleaf forest ecosystem: findings by long-term observation and open-field warming experiment at Takayama site, Japan.” We discussed near-surface remote sensors, phenology, photosynthesis, and most of all, Vcmax!
- Prof Donggil Kim visited us and discussed with Jeehwan about soil respiration manuscript. He appeared in below photo which celebrated Jonmin’s birthday!
- Chongya was awarded the “Best Paper Award by Research Institute for Agricultural and Life Sciences in Seoul National University” with his 2016 RSE paper!! Big Congratulations Chongya!!!!
- Hideki Kobayashi, Kazu Ichii, Yuji Yanagi from JAMSTEC visited us. They are the PI of LAI and GPP/NPP products in the GCOM-C JAXA satellite mission, and decided to use BESS as their global GPP algorithm. We discussed details in BESS. Very excited to see BESS will be embedded in GCOM-C GPP product! They brought their alma mater/current institute symbols (Tokyo Institute of Technology and JAMSTEC).
- Jongmin has been developing Rotaprism, inspired by Joe Berry. Our system differs from Joe’s one as we use electricity to control rotation of prism. This will be installed in a tall forest SiF system. He is testing and we wish we could control all in Rotaprism.
- Li-6800 with fluorescence chamber has arrived! It will be the main weapon for leaf-level chlorophyll fluorescence studies.
- Chongya’s family hosted a lab dinner at a lamb’s grill restaurant to celebrate Lunar New Year. Yan’s husband directly moved from Gimpo airport to the dinner. It was the last dinner for Buyoung who will leave the lab and start a PhD course at Ewha Womans University.
- Youngryel attended FLEX2017 meeting (http://flex2017.org) in ESA (European Spacy Agency), Frascati, Italy. A full of exciting SiF studies appeared. Youngryel gave a presentation on measuring SiF in a paddy rice site. FLEX mission which will be launched in 2022 is really exciting one.
- A set of SiF system (QEPro + fiber optics) arrived! It will be installed in a tall coniferous forest site. We are working with Joe Berry to replicate his Rotaprism system and temperature controller which will be coupled with QEpro.
- Colby and Megan from University of Arkansas visited us for one week. They visited our field site, and discussed modeling evaporation in paddy rice.